Friday, August 28, 2015

Secrets Excerpt

Today we have an excerpt from "Secrets" by Jayne Ormerod.

But first, check out the blurb!

There are no secrets that time doesn’t reveal… That’s a line from a movie that earned Stella Gardner her first Oscar.  Stella’s own secrets harken back to her youth growing up on the eastern peninsula Norfolk, now known as East Beach.

Wow!

Now check out the excerpt.
The biggest secret of my life was on the eleven o'clock news. Local investigative reporter Chuck Northwood had shown up on my front porch early this morning, tapping out an SOS on my doorbell. I’d answered the urgent summons and had been met with lights flashing and cameras rolling.

"Stella Gardner,” he’d said, shoving a microphone in my face, “is it true, that you’re the biological mother of Governor-Elect Richard Talbot?”

I'd slammed the door, then collapsed on the floor until Chuck and his crew gave up and left. This can’t be happening, I thought. Not after all these years.

I’d hoped my lack of response had made it a non-story for ol’ Chuck.

But no such luck.

Now my face, without a speck of make-up, was pixelated across my 70-inch Toshiba. I really must get my eyes done again, I thought.

No doubt many of my East Beach neighbors were watching it, too. How long before my doorbell rang again?


No comments:

Post a Comment