Saturday, September 26, 2015

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Graham Green
The table is laid out beautifully, a centerpiece of mums is surrounded by food that makes your mouth water at the sight of it.  You are handed a glass of wine and told to choose a seat.

I'm sure at this point you're wondering what exactly is going on.  

I've just set the scene for a literary dinner party.  We asked our authors if they could choose three authors, living or dead, to bring to a literary dinner party.  So I thought I would share a few.

Mike Owens has invited Charles Dickens, Graham Green and Patrick O'Brian.

I wonder what these four men will be discussing?  


I bet it will be a deep and serious discussion.  Society?  The economy?  Do you think they'll discuss publishing issues?  Maybe we should get them another glass of wine or beer to lighten them up a bit.
Pat Conroy

Mary-Jac O'Daniel has invited Pat Conroy, Harper Lee and Ernest Hemingway.

What an interesting group!  

I wonder what they will discuss?  They seem to be such an eclectic group.  I wonder if Mr. Hemingway will regale us with stories from his war correspondent years?

Do you think they'd discuss writer's block and how to overcome it?  I'd definitely love to sit in on that conversation.

Mildred Wirt Benson
Jayne Ormerod has invited Mildred Wirt Benson, Agatha Christie and Sue Grafton.

Jayne sat with Ms. Grafton at a happy hour for a mystery writer's conference so there's no doubt that they'll find things to chat about.

Let's be sure to ask Ms. Benson what it was like to pen those first twenty-three Nancy Drew mysteries.

And I want to make sure we keep Mrs. Christie's wineglass full.  Maybe we can get her to tell us what exactly had happened those ten days that she went missing.

I bet this foursome could come up with a fantastic mystery that would keep us glued to our seats.
Katie MacAlister

Michelle Davenport has invited Stephen King, Katie MacAlister and Joanne Fluke.

I wonder if Mr. King is discussing horror or mystery tonight.

Or will Michelle get Ms. Fluke to share some of her recipes from her mysteries?

I bet that foursome could come up with a great horror/mystery story if given the chance.

I hope you enjoyed the literary dinner we hosted tonight.

I know I did.  I'm going to be looking for books by all of the literary dinner guests tonight.  My nightly reading may just take me into the wee hours of the morning.

And if nothing else maybe it's introduced you to an author you never knew about or read before.

Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment